Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Rustic Cinnamon Stars

Well, I'm ready for another tutorial. You can find my first tutorial for Cinnamon Gingerbread Ornies here and my second one for Prim Hanging Tea Lights with grungy battery operated lights here.
So, I'm from Canada, eh. You know, The Great White North and all that stuff.  Lots of people like rustic things to put in their log houses and cabins up here.  I don't have a log house or cabin (wish I did), but I like these rustic cinnamon stick stars anyway.

 
It all has to do with the layering of the cinnamon sticks. Now, by all means, you can do this with plain sticks. I think that looks awesome too. But while we were visiting where we used to live in British Columbia, I bought a big bag of cinnamon sticks cheap from the ethnic section in the grocery store.  Did you know that spices are almost always cheaper in the ethnic section? And they have spices that you can't usually find in the regular section.
 
This is the first step.  Put 2 sticks together like this;
 
 
Then, place another stick under on the bottom and on top at the top;
 
 
Place another stick starting at the other bottom corner and crossing over;
 
 
Finally, place the last stick across;
 
 
After I have them the way I want them, I glue it all together with a glue gun. Then I tied twine around each connection.  I used homespun or twine for the hanger.  I also bundled a piece of artificial greenery with some berries and tied it with homespun. Then I glued that on the front of the star.
 
 
I'm happy with the way they turned out. 
God bless!

This post is linked up to; The Dedicated House Love Grows Wild
 Happy and Blessed Home
 Saving 4 Six Next Gen Homeschool Alderberry Hill The Blackberry Vine

6 comments:

  1. I love the cinnamon stick idea. I think it looks much better than sticks and smells good to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it, great tutorial! I think my boys would love making these out of sticks as gifts for grandparents! If I can find cinnamon sticks at a reasonable price, I would love to make some for my Christmas tree. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for linking up with the Hearts for Home Blog Hop last week. I am featuring this post as one of my favorites and also pinning it to our Pinterest board, so feel free to stop by and grab an "I was featured" button if you'd like! http://learningtable.blogspot.com/2013/11/hearts-for-home-blog-hop-42.html

    ReplyDelete